How to practice Mindful Eating During COVID-19?
In these uncertain times, we tend to concentrate on negativity, and to overcome that, we search for shortcuts or end up making unhealthy choices. Our lifestyle has completely changed due to this pandemic. I personally end up saying I think I’m hungry now when I’m really bored. Soon I realized and started to follow a routine with only healthy options.
I am sure you’re with me on this. So below are few tips on practicing healthy eating habits consciously and nutritionally.
Grocery Tips during COVID-19
- Pick one family member to do the shopping
- Go to the store only when needed OR order online
- Wear a cloth mask and keep your distance
- Bag your own groceries if possible
- Wash hands after shopping
- Wipe food packages/containers if you wish
- Wash hands after putting food away
Eating well during COVID-19
1.Buy foods with a long shelf life (fresh, frozen, canned)
2.Keep a food inventory
3.Plan meals using what you have on hand
4.Wash hands before and after cooking /eating
5.Put leftovers in the fridge or freeze for later
6.Don’t share eating utensils
7.Eat refrigerated leftovers within 3 days
Nutrition advice for adults during COVID-19
1.Drink 8-10 cups of water every day. Water is the best choice.
2.You can also eat fruits and vegetables that contain water and consume other drinks e.g. lemon juice diluted in water and unsweetened, tea, and coffee.
3.Avoid too much caffeine, and sweetened fruit juices, syrups, fruit juice concentrates, fizzy, and still drinks as they all contain sugar.
Consume Immunity boosters
Include immunity-boosting ingredients in your diet like,
•Citrus fruits like orange, lemon
•Fresh turmeric or turmeric powder
•Spices like coriander seeds, jeera, peppercorns
•Neem giloy or amruthaballi
•Green leafy vegetables
Lean meats, seafood, milk, whole grains, beans, seeds, and nuts.
These foods help your body to fight against Covid-19
Few pro tips which you can never neglect,
- Reduce Alcohol consumption or stop it completely if possible as it affects mental state and decision-making ability. It makes you more vulnerable to risks such as violence, dependency, and so on.
2. If you are a breastfeeding mom, continue to breastfeed as long as possible. Mother’s milk is the best natural immunity booster for the baby.
3. Enjoy family meals. This is a great time to spend more time with family. Cook with kids, prepare their favorite foods, go for healthier snack options. This can develop healthy eating habits in the whole family.
These tips are not only valid during covid-19 but in general reduces risks of blood pressure, sugar, heart disease, high cholesterol, and digestive disorders.
What are the best ways you are practicing to be healthier during this pandemic? Comment below.